Saturday 2 June 2012

Roberto Bolaño and 'The Savage Detectives': A lament for lost youth

When The Savage Detectives was recommended to me, I'd never heard of it. I'd never heard of Roberto Bolaño either. When I was told that he was a Chilean author, and the book began in Mexico City 1975, I didn't believe that I would enjoy it. I've read some translated literature before- the short stories of Guy De Maupassant, Anton Chekhov, and poetry by Rimbaud, Neruda (my only previous encounter with Latin-American writing) and Frenaud. Whilst I've found great inspiration from a lot of this work (especially Maupassant, whose 19th century work could have been written last week), reading nearly 600 pages of fiction translated from Spanish seemed a daunting experience. With Neruda's poetry in particular, I've found some words and lines to jar slightly, that is, they are obviously literal translations of a Spanish phrase. It can make reading work like this less enjoyable, less spontaneous, and maybe a little more distant. Aside from this, mid 1970's Mexico was not a setting that I wanted to visit, or rather I felt that I didn't need to go there. So, perhaps slightly stubbornly, I didn't immediately set out to read The Savage Detectives.
     Last month, I came across a collection of Bolaño's short stories titled Last Evenings On Earth in a charity shopWhat I read had me instantly hooked to Bolaño's unique and uncompromising way of writing.
     After that, I finally bought The Savage Detectives, acclaimed as 'the novel Borges might have written' and 'part road movie, part joyful, nostalgic confession'.
     Now, three hundred and twenty one pages in, I cannot recommend the book and Bolaño highly enough. The novel begins with a section called 'Mexicans Lost in Mexico' (where I got the blog name from, see?) and is written as a series of diary entries by aspiring 17 year old Mexican poet Garcia Madero. We are shown very early on is that he has been looking for sense of belonging in a place where 'literature is bread and water, sex and death'. He joins a group of fellow young poets who call themselves the 'visceral realists', and who set out to change Latin American poetry and politics. He meets two particularly important characters- Arturo Belano, who is possibly the author himself (a common trait of Bolaño's work), and Ulises Lima. Without revealing too much of the story, the narrative leaves Garcia Madero after 124 pages and becomes 'The Savage Detectives', a series of 'memoirs' from many different perspectives, including characters from the first section. The narrative crosses continents and so far has moved ten years on from the events of Garcia Madero's diary entries.
     What stands out here as one of Bolaño's greatest skills is the fleshed-out realism of his characters. Set in a world so far from my own, I still feel a connection to them. It might be pity for some, admiration or envy (even jealousy) of others whose lives revolve around literature. Bolaño's writing can be gritty and hard-hitting at times, but it is all presented in a very matter-of-fact way that is reminiscent of Hemingway. Characters often seem at odds with themselves, struggling to show their feelings. The same was true for the short stories of Last Evenings on Earth, which I now see as a blueprint or draft of The Savage Detectives.
     Further along the timline, there is a genuine feeling of nostalgia, and as more and more of these characters lives are shown to us, there is a growing sense that the youth, happiness and blissful ignorance that was abundant in 'Mexicans Lost in Mexico' is never recaptured. Accounts from one era are juxtaposed with  another from say 15 years before. There is also no mention so far of a character introduced in the first section, so I am now holding my own kind of 'where's Wally' hunt along the way, looking for clues that might show me where they are.
     I should also point out that the English translation, by Natasha Wimmer, is the best and most precise example of translated fiction I've ever read. I felt so close to the streets and laguage of mid-70's Mexico, yet I was never confused by their slang or insults. Creadit has to be given to Wimmer for taking on such a mammoth challenge and pulling it off brilliantly.
     Although I'm just over half way through the book and still have so much to discover, I feel like I have travelled back in time to places I've never been before. The Savage Detectives is so evocative, affecting and just bloody brilliant that I do not want to put it down. What may be viewed as Bolaño's masterpiece takes on love, sorrow, loss, joy, memory and passion. The result is a tragic and thought provoking insight into the politics and aspirations of a generation that was looking for it's place in the world. Maybe Mexico 1975 isn't so different from our own world.

3 comments:

  1. Trés interessant! Especially the bit about things being lost in translation - I always wonder about how well captured the rhythm can be when translating from one language into another which is totally different. Unless you can speak the original language I guess you just have to take the translators on faith. Natasha Wimmer and Chris Andrews (who translates all the smaller Bolano books) have won lots of awards for their work so I think we're in safe hands! It'll be interesting to see the differences in future translations (assuming there are any).
    Also, Belano is definitely, with an intentionally similar name, Bolano - the author has said as much. But I also think Juan Garcia Madero is another facet of Bolano - still young and naive, with his intense romanticism over poetry.
    It's interesting you consider Last Evenings on Earth as a blueprint for The Savage Detectives - I read recently that Bolano used to write as many things as possible at once, which I think is one reason his literature all seems intertwined, and several stories from Last Evenings are also told, in different voices, in The Savage Detectives.
    Can't wait to read 2666 now, supposed to be his masterpiece amongst masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed a mention recently of a poet called Enrique Gonazlez Martinez, and that made me think of Garcia Madero...it may not be deliberate, but knowing Bolano he's probably messing with our heads! I definitely agree that Garcia Madero's diary entries are perhaps a younger and more naive Bolano.
    I nearly bought 2666 today actually. Very eager to read more of his work, and if it's said to be even better than Savage Detectives...well I can't quite think of the words to describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact...it's interesting to speculate just how true to his own life this book really is. Ulises Lima is based on Bolano's friend and fellow poet Jose Santiago- the two of them co-founded infrarealism much in the same way they begin visceral realism in the book. With this in mind, it's a fascinating idea to write about yourself from others points of view...to imagine how the world see's you. Maybe it would be worth trying this in some poetry or short stories?

    ReplyDelete